Holy Name Hospital opened in October 1925 under the leadership of Mother General Agatha Brown of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace and two dedicated Teaneck surgeons, Dr. Frank McCormack and Dr. George Pitkin, to help care for Bergen County's burgeoning population.
It has grown in size and reputation to become one of the busiest medical centers in the region, offering advanced technologies and innovative services delivered with compassionate care. Holy Name Medical Center, as it is now known, is a leader in providing advanced medical science and culturally appropriate health care services to a widely diverse population.
Join us as we look back on 90 years of patient care, expansion, and medical advancements.
From its humble beginning as a small community hospital, Holy Name quickly evolved into a regional leader of high-quality health care providers, addressing all the needs of a surging population. Only five years after opening, Holy Name added a 90-bed clinic to help care for the sick and indigent, and during the last nine decades has continued its mission with a number of major expansions and the addition of hundreds of caring and dedicated clinicians and staff members.
Still owned by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, Holy Name Medical Center is the region's trusted resource for health care needs, stretching from conception to end-of-life. Known for its culturally and linguistically sensitive care, Holy Name has built a reputation that draws people from the entire metro New York area.
Holy Name Medical Center takes an active role in encouraging a healthy lifestyle, offering a series of educational seminars, physician talks, and health fairs at a broad range of venues throughout the year. Learn more about these programs through Holy Name's Center for Healthy Living.