As the spread of COVID-19 continues, we want to assure you that Holy Name Medical Center is prepared to treat all our patients, both those suspected of having the virus and those with other health concerns. Keep in mind that our healthcare professionals care for patients with respiratory illnesses and other infectious diseases on a daily basis and are adept at following protocols to keep themselves and others protected.
We want to assure you we are working closely with public health agencies and following federal guidelines to do everything we can to prevent, diagnose and treat COVID-19. In an effort to contain the outbreak as much as possible, we have implemented strict visitor regulations and other safety precautions at our main campus in Teaneck, satellite offices in the community, Villa Marie Claire, and other affiliated sites.
We appreciate everyone's understanding as we face this unprecedented health crisis. Know that our team of healthcare professionals is focused on treating patients while making every effort to keep our visitors and staff safe and healthy.
COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus, which are common viruses that can infect the respiratory tract. It spreads much like cold viruses, getting into the body to infect people through the eyes, nose or mouth. Health officials throughout the world are investigating how the disease originated and how to treat it, while also desperately trying to come up with a vaccine to prevent it.
Researchers have learned that people without any symptoms may be infected with COVID-19 and able to spread the virus for two weeks before showing any signs of the disease. Those who do have symptoms may experience fever, cough, diarrhea and shortness of breath. Some also have nausea, headache and severe fatigue.
COVID-19 is highly contagious, appearing to spread like the flu or the common cold. This means it can spread through droplets in the air when an infected person coughs and/or sneezes. People can also get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object – such as a contaminated handrail or doorknob – that has the virus on it and then touching their mouth, nose, or eyes. COVID-19 appears to be incredibly hardy, and able to live for several days on surfaces and objects.
It is important to note that 80 percent of people who are infected with COVID-19 experience no symptoms, or very mild ones, while the other 20 percent suffer moderate to severe disease.
Self-quarantine and washing your hands frequently are the best preventive steps you can take right now.
While self-isolating, be sure to try and maintain your physical and mental health as much as possible. Use the following tips to help stay healthy:
Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol and rub thoroughly on your hands until dry.
Get out in the fresh air.
Take frequent walks – it's an excellent way to maintain and improve your cardiovascular health as well as improve your mood. Just remember social distancing and keep 6 feet away from others.
Try to limit trips for essentials, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy.
Wear a facemask when out in public. Because people can be infected two weeks before symptoms appear, this may help to stem the spread of the virus.
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 include:
Symptoms can sometimes be mild and begin gradually. Other patients report the onset similar to the flu – all of a sudden they are extremely fatigued with a cough, and/or fever. In severe cases, patients may develop pneumonia.
If you have symptoms and are concerned, be sure to call your primary care provider, emergency department, or urgent care center first in advance of your arrival, so that staff can guide you and respond appropriately. Do not go to any health care provider without calling first.
At-home diagnosis and treatment are possible for mild forms of COVID-19. This can be done through calls to your primary care physician or telemedicine providers, who can assess and provide guidance for treatment or next steps.
For the latest information on travel guidance and restrictions, please visit the CDC website for updates.
If you have questions or concerns, or need a provider, visit holynamemedicalpartners.org.
New Jersey Department of Health Hotline: 1-800-222-1222
Content provided here is general information that will be updated regularly. Please consult your physician for personalized guidance and care.